One year ago today I started Zebra Writes, which makes today my 1st Blogiversary! It’s both an exciting time for and a time, and a time for reflection. March 17th of last year was the date of my Hypermobile EDS Diagnosis, which means that I’ve had a year to come to accept and understand living with EDS. It has been a year in which a lot has changed, both for me, and for the EDS community. From the change of the Ehlers Danlos National Foundation (EDNF) to the Ehlers-Danlos Society (EDS) – an international foundation, to the new nosology for the diagnosis of EDS. I am working on a post for all of you about the new #EDSClassification2017 and the medical research articles that came out this week on the diagnostic criteria, as well as many of the common comorbidities. It’s an exciting time to be an EDS patient, and hopefully these new changes will serve to help educate doctors about us.
I’d like to take this opportunity to celebrate one year of blogging by sharing some of my favorite posts from this year, and to ask you what you would like to see from me in the coming year! I am so grateful to you all, my readers, the reason why I continue to work to improve ZebraWrites. I only wish that I had more time and energy to devote to it!
So here they are – my favorite posts from the last year (in order of release)!
- How I got Here, Part III: Asking Questions (To the Doctors Who Didn’t Say the Words)
- We Wait “When you live daily with symptoms that would send most people to the ER, you learn patience. You learn that sometimes you have to sit with the pain instead of fighting it.”
- 9 Words & Phrases that Chronic Illness Added to My Vocabulary
- Different, Not Less
- To my Mom This Mother’s Day
- The Truth About the Interaction Between Chronic Illness & Mental Health
- Things (Not) to Do When Traveling with Chronic Illness
- Magnified “Hold on until once again you are reminded that the most beautiful parts of life are magnified too”
- How To Fight Chronic Illness Like A Gymnast
- How to Be an Ally to Someone with an Invisible Illness
- On Becoming Disabled
- What This Storm‘s About
Below, I’ve included a form to let you share what you want from ZebraWrites in the coming year! I hope you’ll take moment to share any ideas that you have!
Thanks again for being a part of this community. I am completely humbled by the fact that people are reading (and hopefully) enjoying my work everyday!